This film and book by Ayn Rand is one of my favorite movies. I first saw it on TV many years ago just after I had left home and moved to the big smoke. At that time I felt so constrained by the conservatism of my parents. Being the youngest of four means having your life dictated to you by everyone around you and my upbringing didn't instill any sense of self-worth or self-confidence.
This movie helped me have that self-belie that I was crying out for.
The Fountainhead is the story of a young architect Howard Roarkn(played by Gary Cooper) who doesn't design buildings according to the traditional values of the time. Those values dictate that every building imitate classical Greek and Roman architecture. So he is thrown out of university and only gets a small number of commissions for houses. However he cannot earn enough to survive and goes to work in a quarry, where he is seen by a journalist played by Patricia Neal. A complicated love story evolves around Roark's struggle for his intellectual and professional freedom.
No comments:
Post a Comment