George and I went to the John Zachmann seminar last Thursday, and I got a lot more out of his talk than I ever expected. John is now 75 and he has so much energy. He has obviously refined his thinking about enterprise architecture and the place of his framework in relation to other EA thinking.
He now refers to his framework concepts as "primitives" and other concepts, such as "services" as "constructs". He referred to TOGAF as a "process".
John introduced me to the term "reification" - to reify is to make a concept into something concrete. It made me think about what my team does, and I later spoke to David Yee about changing the mission and structure of TOS to be in line with ITIL, which has a lot in common with the concept of reification.
Side note: To get to the seminar I drove over to George's and went in to the city with him. Later I stayed and had dinner with George and Helen.
No comments:
Post a Comment