Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Green Mile

Recently I finally watched "The Green Mile" and I found out that what everyone had said about it is true. It is remarkably well written, well directed and well acted.

I later found out that it was written by horror writer Stephen King, so I went looking for the book, which I found at Amazon for the Kindle. I think this was the first book I bought for my new Kindle.

I was then able to buy the audiobook through Audible.com which I have now listened several times. It is read by Fracnk Muller who is one of the very best audio book readers. The audio book is thirteen hours long, so there is more in it than the movie, but not much more. The movie is true to the book, and it's main differences with the movie are mainly to do with what happens at the retirement home.

I give "The Green Mile" 5 stars.

Post-note
I have realized that the screenwriter for the film used a trick to tie the film together that wasn't in the book. At the beginning of the book there is a scene at the retirement home when everyone is watching reality TV. One old man gets up in disgust and changes the channel, and eventually turns to a channel showing a Ginger Rogers/Fred Astaire movie, with Fred Astaire singing "I'm in heaven". Later this film is being shown at the prison - but presumably not to those on the green mile. Then when John Coffey is asked for his final wishes, he requests to see a movie, and that is the movie. Neat writing! In the book the first two didn't happen, and John's only last request is for meat loaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment